Connect with us

Other News

Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) Cried Out For Help As Herdsmen Continue Malicious Killings In Benue Communities

Published

on

Benue State’s camps for internally displaced people (IDPs) are currently congested as armed herdsmen persist in their rampaging attacks on the state’s agricultural towns.

According to a DAILY POST writer who spent the weekend touring some of the camps, there is a major humanitarian crisis affecting the IDPs.

They complained that they were starving to death and expressed their dissatisfaction.

The murderous herdsmen have been preying on numerous Benue towns in recent days, displacing thousands of people from their ancestral homes.

The most recent victims were those living in the Wandor, Mbaikyor hamlet in the Mbalom Council Ward of the state’s Gwer East Local Government Area.

Read also: Niger State Government Plans to Rename Minna Airport in Honor of Tinubu During Presidential Visit

The intruders murdered 16 people in addition to a retired army officer, demolishing more than 50 homes, shelters, farms, and food barns in 11 communities.

Before that tragedy, residents of Benue State’s Apa, Kwande, and Guma Local Government Areas were also the targets of another round of attacks that left a number of people dead and numerous others injured.

Since the beginning of the dry season, the herders have continuously targeted Ubele, Ochumekwu, Adija, Kano, and Ijaha in Apa LGA with thousands of cattle.

Mr. Eche Akpoko, National Chairman of the Apa Development Association, a socio-cultural group, confirmed the attacks and bemoaned the marauders’ ceaseless raids and killings in Apa, claiming the atrocities were completed in three days.

He said: “I can confirm to you that there were series of attacks on the following communities: Ijaha-Ibele, where five people were killed; Ochumekwu recorded three casualties; in Adija, one person was killed, same as Kano community, where one person was also killed. These were all in Apa LGA.”

In addition, a number of communities in Benue State’s Agatu and Otukpo Local Government Areas were attacked by suspected armed herdsmen, resulting in numerous fatalities, injuries, and forced evictions from ancestral homes.

The Iwili community in Entekpa Ward, which is situated in the Adoka District of the state’s Otukpo Local Government Area, was the target of yet another round of attacks by alleged gunmen, according to the DAILY POST.

An attorney from the impacted area named Ada Ocholi said that a few armed guys wearing military clothes scaled trees to ambush the gullible locals.

“I can’t say the number of corpses recovered so far because yesterday, I was in touch with our youth leader there.

“He told me that they just came back from the bush, and there were so many of the gunmen in the bush with military uniforms, and that some of them were on top of trees with sophisticated weapons,” she told DAILY POST.

According to a second local source, the attacks started on Saturday and continued until Monday. Several people were hurt in the attacks, and the remaining residents of the villages that were affected fled their homes out of fear for their lives.

“They came from Agatu which they have been attacking since the beginning of the year. They came through Opaha in Apa LGA and accessed Iwili community in Umogidi from where they also stormed Entekpa,” the local said.

Speaking to DAILY POST, Och’Adoka Alegwu Samuel Onuh, the traditional ruler of the Adoka people, expressed displeasure with the recent attack on the district, claiming that the Adoka people are Fulani lovers with no prior history of conflict with the herders.

He said, “We are peace-loving people who have never had any nasty previous records with the Fulanis, but now they have come to attack us and made away with our belongings and the means of our livelihood.”

Read also: Former Deputy Governor and Ex-Speakers Supports Otti, Creating Uncertainty within Abia’s PDP and APC

The Och’Adoka demanded that the government respond quickly to allow the people of the communities to return and carry on with their farming endeavors, completely denouncing the incident.

“As a community, we are not happy. Up till now my subjects in that entire Entekpa Ward who have vacated the area for fear of being killed have littered around Adoka township and other villages in Adoka.

“We are appealing to the government to deploy security operatives to the affected areas to provide them security so they could continue with their legitimate activities without fear of being attacked,” he added.

Asked whether there were any security agents in the affected areas, the monarch said, “The operatives of the Nigerian Army, the Police, and the Nigerian Security and Civil Defense Corps, NSCDC, are all on ground to forestall further occurrences and maintain peace in the place.”

On his part, the Chairman of Otukpo Local Government Area, Alfred Omakwu, while confirming the devastating incident, disclosed that seven lifeless bodies were recovered by Tuesday afternoon, with efforts underway to locate additional victims.

Omakwu stated that military personnel had been deployed to aid in the search and provide support to the grieving communities.

Speaking to DAILY POST on the alleged abandonment of the affected area by the Nigerian police, the spokesperson for the Benue State Police Command, Catherine Anene, said it will be unfair to state that the police have neglected the said communities.

She said, “We have so many teams deployed to these areas to manage the situation.

“We have had injuries and even dead officers in these areas due to efforts being made to manage conflict. The truth is that the police are doing their best.”

Speaking to DAILY POST, some of the internally displaced persons in the temporary camp at Wesley Central School, Adoka, expressed their grievances on being sacked from their ancestral homes at the time the nation’s economy is biting harder.

‘’Just look at us. We cannot stay in our own village, which is our heritage. We are not doing anything to help ourselves or our families; not that we don’t want to but we are scared of death.

Read also: Herbert Wigwe: 8 Shocking Things You Need to Know About Late Access Bank CEO

“We are farmers and the only source of our livelihood is the farms but these marauders have destroyed everything, killed some of our people and made us flee from our homes.’’

Another displaced person simply identified as Oloche Edo, said, “We have now become refugees in our own land. See how bad the economy is now.

 

“We are hungry and our children are suffering from starvation and malnutrition, something we would have tried by all means to avoid if we were not displaced.’’

Edache Moses, a displaced person, lamented, on his part, how the development has halted their children’s education, calling on the government and every other stakeholder to intensify efforts to bring to an end the farmers/herders conflict in their communities.

He said, “We know the value of education, but as it is now, our children who are supposed to be leaders of tomorrow via education are forced out of school.

“How would they become tomorrow’s leaders when they cannot go to school? Is it a crime to stay in one’s community and pursue his legitimate occupation?

“We want the government and well meaning Nigerians to intervene and put an everlasting end to it.’’

Asked how they have been faring outside their homes, they jointly expressed the difficulty they had gone through, demanding that they want to go back to their ancestral homes and continue with their normal activities to fend for their families.

Speaking to DAILY POST, the Adoka IDPs manager, cum youth leader, Adoka-Ole Youth Council, Advocate Ngbede Ofoine, said the attack on Entekpa Ward of Adoka, which displaced a total of 5,250 persons, has caused the entire Adoka humanitarian crisis in the areas of food, water, health, accommodation, and internal/local security.

He lamented the sufferings of the displaced persons, seeking help from the government, stakeholders, and individuals to alleviate their pains.

At the moment, the suffering of the displaced people is much. It is becoming so unbearable due to the fact that they all left their ancestral homes without a prior preparation.

“Some of them were at the stream, farm, village square and other communities on a visit before this unfortunate event.

“They were not opportune to pick any basic needs like food, clothing, beddings and so on.

“We are begging the government and well-meaning Nigerians to come to our rescue at this critical time,” he added.

“We are hungry and our children are suffering from starvation and malnutrition, something we would have tried by all means to avoid if we were not displaced.’’

Edache Moses, a displaced person, on his part lamented how the development has halted their children’s education, calling on the government and every other stakeholder to intensify efforts to bring to an end the farmers/herders conflict in their communities.

He said, “We know the value of education, but as it is now, our children who are supposed to be leaders of tomorrow via education are forced out of school.

“How would they become tomorrow’s leaders when they cannot go to school? Is it a crime to stay in one’s community and pursue his legitimate occupation?

“We want the government and well meaning Nigerians to intervene and put an everlasting end to it.’’

Asked how they have been faring outside their homes, they jointly expressed the difficulty they had gone through, demanding that they want to go back to their ancestral homes and continue with their normal activities to fend for their families.

Speaking to DAILY POST, the Adoka IDPs manager, cum youth leader, Adoka-Ole Youth Council, Advocate Ngbede Ofoine, said the attack on Entekpa Ward of Adoka, which displaced a total of 5,250 persons, has caused the entire Adoka humanitarian crises in the area of food, water, health, accommodation and internal/local security.

He lamented the sufferings of the displaced persons, seeking help from the government, stakeholders and individuals to alleviate their pains.

“At the moment, the suffering of the displaced people is much. It is becoming so unbearable due to the fact that they all left their ancestral homes without a prior preparation.

“Some of them were at the stream, farm, village square and other communities on a visit before this unfortunate event.

“They were not opportune to pick any basic needs like food, clothing, beddings and so on.

“We are begging the government and well-meaning Nigerians to come to our rescue at this critical time,” he added.

 

SOURCE: DAILY POST

Other News

Hamas: US military starts delivering aid to Gaza

Published

on

By

Hamas: US military starts delivering aid to Gaza

The US military has started supplying Gaza with humanitarian products.

According to CNN, rucks bringing relief supplies into Gaza have started to make their way ashore after passing via the makeshift pier the US military constructed.

The pier, which was anchored to a beach in Gaza on Thursday, is said to be used to direct aid from other nations into the besieged strip, where a severe humanitarian crisis is engulfing the area and all other border crossings are closed.

Read also: Seven APC Candidates Support Aiyedatiwa in Ondo Governor Race

The US has stressed that the $320 million pier is a temporary solution that is “entirely humanitarian in nature and will involve aid commodities donated by some countries and humanitarian organizations.” Construction on the pier started in late April.

According to a statement from the US Central Command, or CENTCOM, no US forces touched down in Gaza.

Foreign aid initially lands in Cyprus, then is transferred by ship to a floating platform close to Gaza’s coast, where it is unloaded onto trucks and distributed on land.

Continue Reading

Other News

Your ₦48000 Minimum Wage Is For Almajiris – Shehu Sani Blasts Tinubu’s Govt.

Published

on

By

Sani Calls on Government to Close Chinese Supermarket Blocking Nigerian From Entering

Shehu Sani, a former senator from Kaduna Central, said the N48,000 minimum salary the federal government is proposing is an “Almajiri offer.”

According to a report, the Federal Government’s proposed minimum pay of N48,000 for public service workers was rejected by the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress of Nigeria (TUC).

This suggestion was made by the government on Wednesday during the tripartite committee meeting that was resumed with organized labor.

The laborers left the virtual gathering since they didn’t agree.

Attending the conference, a labor leader voiced his dissatisfaction with the Federal Government’s stance on paying workers a decent wage.

Read also: Founding Fathers’ Ideas Tarnished – PDP’s Oyedokun Leaves Party

“What the government has presented to us is a wage reduction. This government is not serious about giving workers a living wage,” the labour leader who did not want his name mentioned said.

President Bola Tinubu assured workers that their days of waiting for a living wage were gone during the May Day celebration by promising them one.

The NLC and TUC suggested a minimum salary of N615,000, using the high cost of living as their benchmark.

The Nigeria Employers’ Consultative Association, or NECA, announced N54,000 as the new minimum salary during the meeting on Wednesday. Previously, the organization stated that the lowest paid employee in the private sector was paid N78,000.

Reacting, Sani posted on X: “48k minimum wage is an Almajiri offer to Labour; but quarter moi moi is better than none.”

Continue Reading

Other News

Nigerian Govt Is Not Addressing Artificial Fuel Scarcity and Insecurity – CLO

Published

on

By

Nigerian Govt Is Not Addressing Artificial Fuel Scarcity and Insecurity – CLO

The Federal Government did not go far enough, according to the Civil Liberties Organization (CLO) on Thursday in Akwa Ibom State, to bring down the fraudulent actions of fuel marketers, which have kept gas prices high in various regions of the nation.

Additionally, it demanded that the Akwa Ibom State Government and the National Youth Service Corps, or NYSC, management step up efforts to guarantee the release of the remaining Corps members who are being held captive in Zamfara State by kidnappers.

Read also: We Are Embracing Tinubu’s Renewed Hope – Otti

Following the organization’s monthly meeting, the state chairman, Barr Godknows Njoku, and vice chairman, Comrade Eridiong Obong, signed a statement describing the marketers’ actions as economic sabotage.

The statement expressed regret over the Federal Government’s apparent lack of commitment to regulating the actions of middlemen and other downstream sector operators.

It further stated that this has resulted in marketers manipulating the legal system by inventing circumstances to drive up the price of the commodity.

CLO claims that if the situation is allowed to worsen, Nigerians may experience even more agony, and their already impoverished and suffering populace may take to the streets in large numbers.

It said it was a disgrace to the nation that the kidnappers of the prospective NYSC members from Akwa Ibom were still holding them captive in Zamfara, more than a year after they were kidnapped, and it urged security services and the state government of Akwa Ibom to step up their efforts to swiftly free the remaining hostages.

The Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) recently announced new rules addressing Point of Sale (POS) operator registration. The CLO claimed that these guidelines were inappropriate and insensitive, and they called on the federal government to halt the activity and permit the current regulations with banks.

It went on to say that any additional fees imposed on the operators will just make matters worse for Nigerians by raising the already excessive withdrawal fees.

With current government policies already choking the downtrodden, the organization labeled the latest regulations released by CAC as insensitive and an additional attempt to mistreat poor Nigerians who have kept continuing to get poorer due to the poor handling and leadership of the economy by successive federal administrations.

 

Continue Reading

Trending